Flights to Athens in the $500s roundtrip, or Greek Islands for $60 more! (no bag fees)
Great fares to visit Athens. :-)
Plus, you can hop over to the Greek Islands for as much as a tank of gas (or two).
Two things to keep in mind if you go the island route:
(1) Most of the flights are on budget airlines like Ryanair with lots of add-on fees that are avoidable, but be sure to familiarize yourself with what they are beforehand so you don’t get stuck with paying more than you wanted.
(2) You don’t have to book your flight to Athens and your flight to a Greek Island at the same time. In fact, I would wait until your flight to Athens is ticketed and confirmed to buy your flight to a Greek Island. The price is unlikely to increase for that short flight and you prevent any chance of the Athens flight not being ticketed.
Note: some routes out of FLL and MIA have long day layovers in Montreal on one side of the trip, but there’s plenty of time to get out and explore!
No bag fees, etc.
Trip tip: “Hike up Philopappos Hill to the monument at the top for an incredible view of the Acropolis (on one side) and the sea on the other. The best place in the city to watch the sunset — stay there until the lights on the Acropolis come on and then hike down the other side towards Thissio to experience the night market and have a (late) Athenian dinner.” (Thanks SCF subscriber Michelle E. for the tip!)
Boston (BOS) – $507
Chicago (ORD) – $506
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) – $560
Houston (IAH) – $581
Los Angeles (LAX) – $565
Miami (MIA) – $555
New York City (EWR) – $502
New York City (LGA) – $506
Washington DC (BWI) – $525
Washington DC (DCA) – $521
Washington DC (IAD) – $517
Varies depending on origin. Generally November 2017 through May 2018, some routes do include Thanksgiving but all exclude Xmas/NYE.
Air Canada, United, or Lufthansa
I think these fares will last a day or two.
To find the cheapest available dates, search in Google Flights using the sample search below. Book here if you prefer to purchase directly from the airline or a major OTA like Orbitz or Priceline.
- These fares could disappear anytime, even within a few hours. If you’ve clicked the sample searches, played around with a few dates, and not seeing fares close to those listed in this email, it likely means they’re gone :-(
- General advice on how/when to find cheap flights
- How to use Google Flights & Momondo
- Should I book via Momondo or nah?
Scott’s Cheap Flights