As a conscientious Engineering Manager you will play an important part in building and growing our engineering team; adding to and shaping its culture; as well as coaching, mentoring, and sponsoring engineers across our technology organization. As one of our first engineering managers you will also have a unique opportunity to grow and shape engineering management at Scott's Cheap Flights.
As the world's favorite cheap flight alert platform, we're constantly looking for ways to improve our members' experience. By hiring an Engineering Manager we will be able to sustainably grow both our product and team, as well as continue to build upon our culture of feedback to maximize the individual and collective improvement of the team. You will report directly to the Head of Engineering.
In the short term, you will:
- Build relationships through weekly 1-1s with direct reports
- Hire for and scale up adjacent teams
- Exhibit coaching, mentorship, and sponsorship to help a group of 5-8 engineers excel
- Support teams in estimation, planning, implementation, and deployment of large features and improvements
In the long term, you will:
- Help shape our engineering culture
- Facilitate the growth of your direct reports to take on bigger and more advanced challenges
- Identify and implement measures of engineering outcomes and improvements
- Lead projects in a way that sustainably maximizes the outcomes from your team
What you bring to the table:
- Superior communication skills, written and verbal.
- At least eight years of professional software development, with at least three of those years in people management
- Strategic thinking. You know how to design initiatives thoughtfully, measure success, and iterate as-needed.
- Proven track record of developing talent. You have a growth mindset, and are exceptionally effective at coaching the people who report to you.
- Experience hiring, forming, and managing a stable team of 4+ engineers
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Nice to have:
- Remote work experience
- Experience working within the travel industry
- Mobile experience
Technologies we use:
- Ruby on Rails is our primary server framework
- React is our primary front end development framework
- Postgres and Redis are our primary storage engines
- Heroku for deployments and infrastructure
- GitHub for source code management
- Circle CI for continuous integration
- Notion for documentation, collaboration, and project management
Why you might love working here:
- 100% remote work environment, so go ahead and bring your dog to work or wear your PJ's to the office
- Open vacation policy, with a 3 week minimum!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance
- 401(k) with a 5% match
- Up to 12-weeks of paid family leave
- Meetup meals when you cross paths with a co-worker
- Continuing education & development reimbursement
- Yearly team retreat (this year we went to Riviera Maya!)
- Challenging problems to solve and an awesome team to collaborate with every single day
We want you to bring your authentic self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to age; appearance; color; gender identity and/or expression; genetics; family or parental status; marital, civil union, or domestic partnership status; mental, physical, or sensory disability; national, social or ethnic origin; past or present military service; sexual orientation; socioeconomic status; race; religion or belief.